Bradford Postal History
Penobscot County, Maine

last update for this page: 23 April 2021



Maine Postal History ------ Waterville Stamp Club


Thank you for the contributions to this page from James Husson, Roland Simard, and the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Bradford include:
Blakesburg (1)
Blakesburg (2)
Bradford
Bradford Center
East Bradford
North Bradford



Bradford

1832 June 8:
   Bradford post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1881 December 24
   The circular postmark is 29 mm in diameter. Postmaster was Thomas R. Kingsbury.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1909 December 18
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 13–14 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

date?
   Bradford post office.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1909 December 18
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 13–14 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1939 December 14
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 20 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1949 December 5 through 1950 March 11:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
         
      (click on an image to enlarge)

1956 October 22 [year determined from reverse side]
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

2020
   Bradford post office. 11 Storer Drive; Bradford, Maine  04410. Lat./Long.: N 45°04′24″ x W 68°53′42″
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

today:
   Bradford post office is still in operation.


Bradford Center

1877 November 12:
   Bradford Center post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1944 January 26:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1956 October 23:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1957 September 6:
   Bradford Center post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


North Bradford

1853 September 23:
   The former South Orneville post office was renamed as North Bradford post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1905 July:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      
      (click on image to enlarge)

1924 March 15:
   North Bradford post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)